The beauty of indoor gardening

 It's not an easy task to explain the beauty of indoor gardening in one blog. Here we will see some beautiful indoor gardening moments with pictures. 

It all begun like this. 

Where to buy cheap plants ? 

I bought some plants at IKEA and some at a supermarket called as Auchan. This beautiful peace-lily (with white flowers) cost just around 7 euros. The small plants were bought at Auchan and each cost less then 4 euros. Sunflowers were plucked from my garden. Buddha decorative set was always there in my house. The mint plant was also plucked from my garden and I just left it in water in a plastic bottle. Even during beginning of winter it was growing very well. You can wonder how these plants cost this less. If you want to buy the same size peace-lily plant from a nursery, it would have cost around 14 euros. The reason is, it is believed that in plant nurseries they are taken care well and better than at supermarkets and big sales companies. To be honest, the plants I bought from supermarkets didn't do less better than the ones bought at plant shops. When you buy at supermarket, if you are lucky enough, you will buy plants as soon as it enters the shop. Since, these shops mostly don't  have windows and the light conditions might not necessarily suit for that particular plant variety, the more earlier you pick, the better it will be. 

Don't forget to propagate 


Plants have so many super powers. One among them is propagation. Lucky bamboos in the back are plants bought from shops (Botanic and IKEA). Bamboo in the front comes from propagation. 

Which type of plants to buy ? 

Everybody has their style of plants. Some like flowers like me, some like to see the different variations of foliage in plants. For people who like indoor gardening for foliage you can watch Sadaa's Green Life youtube Chanel by clicking here.   In fact this is the video which inspired me to begin my indoor gardening journey. From leaves to flowers to fruits, everybody has the right to have their own preferences and buy their type of plants. In any case, if you are a beginner, it's better to buy plants which doesn't die quickly or to be precise, which are difficult to kill, such as snake plant, lucky bamboo, golden pothos, yucca. 

For flower lovers 

Since I am a flower lover, I tried my best to find flowering plants which grows during winter (in cold countries). Peace lily is one easy plant to grow during any season. They have beautiful white flowers. 


Be aware! You cannot expect flowers every-time. Peace lily flowers only when they are in ideal conditions. When you buy it from shop or nursery, they should have used the appropriate chemicals to make them flower, but when you come back home once the flowers die, it can be quite difficult to have flowers often in your house. 


I thought a lot before buying this gerbera plant because I like to have plants which last longer (not seasonal plants).  Flower did last for a long time but the plant didn't survive for long. Nevertheless, it added such beauty to my room. Since they are not very expensive, it's just like buying a bouquet to make yourself happy. 



If this video works for you, tell me, isn't it a heavenly moment ? Orchids ! Talking about orchids, it has globally bean a good experience for me. Orchid's flowers last from 2 to 3 months. So, even if orchids doesn't flower all through the year, it's so much worth it. I bought two little orchid variety and one big one. Among them one little orchid died during winter, but the other two are happy with green leaves. If you buy orchids be careful with the medium. I didn't try planting in soil, but it seems to be not fine in soil. I chose bark medium. I added bit of neem powder with water once. Currently, I am experimenting with aloe vera to see if it's true that it create more flower blooms. You know what, actually I want to buy more orchids! Because of the flowers. I think by this week I will rush to a supermarket for orchids πŸ₯°πŸ˜‚ and particularly big orchid varieties. Why supermarket ? Because I cannot afford more for now πŸ˜…. 


This picture is from the month when I bought Jasmin. I bought it in January time. Right now it doesn't have flowers. I am trying my best to make it flower again by adding naturel fertilizers such as banana and egg shell. Normally it should grow during spring. I will update this blog by then. I am a flower lover and in particular, I am lover of fragrant flowers. I cannot wait for this to happen. 

To clean the leaves from dust 

As time goes by, dust in your room will deposit in the leaves. To clean you can wipe it using a piece of cloth and some milk. Why milk when there is water ? Water deposits in leaves can lead to bacterial growth. With milk you can have shiny and beautiful leaves. Anyhow, to be honest, I never wiped my leaves with milk. I just wipe with water. Rarely, I imitate rain by pouring water on top of plants, using a pot with lot of holes. Then I open the window for fresh air, so water will run down. I also blow air using a piece of carton. In this way also, we can have beautiful dust-free leaves. There are also times where I didn't really cared about dust on leaves. It didn't do any damage to the leaves, if you are fine with the visuals. 

Anti pollution 

Does I even need to talk about how much growing plants indoor is beneficial for having fresh air in our house. Even if flowers fall down, absorbing pollutants and toxic molecules is done mostly by leaves and in part by roots. 

Share in comment section, about your gardening ideas if you want to begin soon, or share about your indoor garden if you already have one. Mention about my photos to make me happy :) 

Comments

Popular Posts